I'm adding the answers, some commentary, and another movie meme for you to go try, in bold. Plus pictures.
- Pick 15 of your favorite movies.
- Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie (or quote them from memory).
- Post them on your blog for everyone to guess.
- Fill in the film title once it’s been guessed.
These are the players’ rules:
No Googling or using IMDb search functions (don’t cheat!).
Leave your answer(s) in the comments.
I pick the quotes; you guess without internet aid. I'll post the results as they come in. Bonus points if you guess which actor is in the most movies of the 15 (the quotes aren't necessarily said by his characters).
[Maryann at The Awkward Blogger has identified 7. Click here to see her movie quote game. DF at Breakfast with Pandora identified #7. Click here to see his movie quote meme. Lemur Reflections, a reader, has also done the meme, here.]
We'll start with a really easy one:
1. "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father; prepare to die!" Princess Bride (with Mandy Patinkin), Maryann
2. "Mediocrities everywhere... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you... I absolve you all." Amadeus
3. "Look! I have one job on this lousy ship, it's *stupid*, but I'm gonna do it! Okay? " Galaxy Quest (with Alan Rickman)
4. "People"? I ain't "people." I am a - "a shimmering, glowing star in the cinema firmament." Singing in the Rain, Maryann
5. "I guess that makes you the damsel in distress, huh, handsome?" Enchanted
6. "Give me an occupation, Miss Dashwood, or I shall run mad." Sense and Sensibility (with Alan Rickman), Maryann
7. "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!" Casablanca (with Humphrey Bogart), DF
8. "A tailor's like a doctor, what's to be ashamed?" Yentl (with Mandy Patinkin), Maryann
. "I must confess that I feel somewhat bewildered by what you have just
told me. To be born, or at any rate bred in a handbag, whether it have
handles or not, seems to me to display a contempt for the ordinary
decencies of family life which reminds one of the worst excesses of the
French revolution, and I presume you know what that unfortunate
movement led to?" The Importance of Being Earnest (with Colin Firth) - a wonderful version of Oscar Wilde's play. This line is said by Lady Bracknall, played by Dame Judy Dench (right).
I don't get married again because I can't find anyone I dislike enough to inflict that kind of torture on." All That Jazz, Maryann
I can't believe I have a bunch of dead people watching videos in my living room." Truly, Madly, Deeply (with Alan Rickman)
12. "Your golf ball, your running board, your car? Is there anything in the world that doesn't belong to you?" Bringing Up Baby (with Katharine Hepburn, right), one of my favorite comedies
13. "May I remind you gentlemen that when in doubt, consult the brigand's... handbook!" The Thief and the Cobbler. This one has wonderful, and very different, animation (see here, and here).
14. "Oh, Miss. Oh, have pity, Miss. You don't know what you're doing
I'll perish without a hair of the dog. Oh Miss, it ain't your property." The African Queen (with Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn) I'm surprised no one knew this one.
15. "Mother, I do not need a blind date. Particularly not with some verbally
incontinent spinster who drinks like a fish, smokes like a chimney, and
dresses like her mother." Bridget Jones' Diary (with Colin Firth), Maryann
I'm going to add an extra one because that first one was so easy.
16. "I am in a dress, I have gel in my hair, I haven't slept all night, I'm starved, AND I'm armed! Don't MESS with me!" Miss Congeniality, Maryann
That makes two movies with Mandy Patinkin, two with Katharine Hepburn, two with Colin Firth, two with Humphrey Bogart, and three with Alan Rickman.
If you do the meme on your blog, please post that in the comments so I can come see (play).